Thursday, July 14, 2011

Weeks 5 and 6

I am now over halfway finished with my internship! I still have 5 weeks left (yes I will be way over my required hours)! Last week I only worked 2 days so I am just combining the past 2 weeks into one blog.

I am continuing to learn a lot here at WISH. I had the opportunity to go out every day at least for a little bit which always helps to break the day up. There were two stories this week that I found particularly interesting:

Tuesday we covered a robbery story. Apparently, this 25 year old girl had stolen a gun from Don's Guns the night before. Tuesday morning she then used that gun to steal from a hair/beauty store. The owners of the store got a picture of her license plate and police were able to track her down. She led them on a high speed chase and almost ran over a construction worker. The police finally caught up to her while she was trying to unlock the doors of her home. However, she was not cooperating and ended up having to get tased. The whole story seemed bizarre to me. This woman claimed to be pregnant and was obviously pretty desparate. I am realizing how people do things that make no sense at all. We met some very peculiar people during our interviews too.

Wednesday I traveled to Millroy for the day. These two boys (ages 19 and 22) must have gotten into some sort of disagreement. All the neighbors said they were friends, but the 19 year old shot his friend. The small town does not have many murders (the prosectutor couldn't remember any taking place in the town of 600). I found it really sad that the only time this town was recognized in the news was for murder. It seemed like a really nice, quiet town, but now all people will remember is that it was a location for a crime. I'm sure there are alot of really cool stories in a town like that, but the saying "If it bleeds it leads" really is true when it comes to the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment