Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Week 3

I am still loving my internship and I'm so excited about the experience I'm getting.

Monday I went to Shelbyville to check out areas that flooded. The town got 6-7 inches of rain in 2 hours! We met a really sweet couple. The two were in there 90's and had been married for 67 years! Their farm had flooded pretty bad which made a great backdrop for our live shot in the evening. It was cool to talk with them and see how excited they were to be on tv!

Tuesday I went out with Adrienne who was a one woman show. We were covering a story about a culvert (kind-of like a bridge) that had been washed out by Monday's heavy rains. We found out that the state has no regulations requiring that culverts be inspected. Marion county has over 1000 culverts, so it is scary to think that drivers may be traveling over other culverts that are unsafe. We did some interviews and gathered footage. Adrienne was so easy to talk to. I found myself feeling very comfortable with her. She let me do a standup and really walked me through how to narrow my focus when writing my story. She was having trouble with the tripod and so I got to shoot her which was fun. I learned a lot from her and was grateful for her critique. When I got back to the station I was able to practice anchoring. Reading off the teleprompter was harder than I thought it would be, but it was fun sitting in the studio under the lights and trying it out.

Wednesday I spent the day writing and editing packages. I am getting better, but still know I have a lot of room to improve. Going out yesterday with Adrienne, helped me realize how valuable it is to be able to report, write, shoot, and edit. I want to someday be a valuable asset to an organization. Someday I want to be dependable in many areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment